Thursday, October 1, 2009

stART: If You Give A Pig A Pancake

For this week's stART project, we read If You Give A Pig A Pancake.

Izzie helped make blackberry pancakes for breakfast.

I saw a similar activity at Lakeshore Learning awhile back. I used their concept to make Izzie this activity. I made 20 pancakes (Microsoft Word), 10 pancakes with numbers 1-10 and then 10 pancakes with different amount of dots (1-10). The concept is to match the pancakes (number with the correct amount of dots).

For more drama, I put the pancakes on a baking sheet and gave Izzie a spatula to use. I separated the pancakes (1-5 and 6-10), so Izzie would not be overwhelmed. For numbers 1-5, she went in correct order and was able to visually distinguish the correct amount of dots.

For number 6-10, she would choose the correct number that went next, but had to count the number of dots to find the correct pancake. She really liked this activity and it was great for counting!

I wanted to create a game that would reinforce taking turns. So, this is what I came up with. I made 2 large pancakes (cardboard and felt...can you believe I didn't have 2 pieces of brown felt the same color). I then made game cards (Microsoft Word) that included the following toppings, 1 chocolate, 2 strawberries, and 3 blueberries. For the game pieces, I used the velcro chocolates, strawberries, and blueberries from Izzie's Just Like Home Cake Decorator Set.

We took turns picking game cards and then attaching the correct topping to our pancake. It's a simple game, but it really encouraged Izzie to practice taking turns.

For more stART projects, head over to A Mommy's Adventures.

10 comments:

  1. Too cute! Taking turns can be so hard, even for adults!

    http://rogersfamilycircus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so wonderful! I loved "for the drama"!

    It's been a while since I visited your homepage and didn't just read you on Google Reader...I have to tell you that I love the header!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project! Emily has that same decorating set...I will have to try this with her. Thanks for linking up :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is AWESOME!! I love this and am bookmarking it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the game you made, it's such a good idea to use parts from other toys she has!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both things you did. The number pancakes is great. My daughter LOVES this book and she would love this. I also have not been here (I read you on Google Reader) in a while and I LOVE the new look of your blog:)

    http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love this book - and your activities for it are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great stuff! you do such great fun stuff with her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this math pancake activity! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...