Monday, August 31, 2009

Homemade Crayons

I have seen this activity on several blogs this summer and have been wanting to give it a try!

My first thought was to use the really cute ice cube tray that I found at the Dollar Tree. I previously used it for our ice cube painting activity. After filling the entire tray with broken crayons, my husband walked in the kitchen and questioned me about using an "ice cube tray" in the oven. My response, "Sure, it'll work...I think...right?? It looks like my larger silicon muffin pan, so it should be fine...right?" Not wanting to take the chance, I decided not to use it. However, I am curious to know if it would have been okay to use, so if you know, please let me know.

I transferred all the broken crayons to the flower muffin pan. To melt crayons, preheat oven to 225 degrees and warm crayons for about 10 minutes.

Let crayons cool. We stuck them in the freezer to speed up the process.
Our colorful flower crayons!

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try this same thing, but I guess I've been afraid to because I have a few pans, but I'm not sure if I can put them in the oven or not. I'll be checking back to see if anyone answers your question. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are SO cute!!! I don't know about the silicone... I have a cute tin that has mini cups which would make good crayons but I've always wondered if you can use a tin again for food, once it's been a crayon-maker. :) So, I've never done it. But, yours turned out SO great that I'm really tempted to try. My husband brought home tons and tons of broken crayons (from his classroom) and they'd be perfect.

    Anyway, love them and I'll be checking back for an answer about the ice cube tray!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...